You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"A" is for Author's Garden

By Susan F. Craft

I'm participating in a blog hop called "A to Z." Each week our group will publish a post featuring the letter of the week.  Scroll down and make sure to visit the other blogs. It's sure to be fun. Oh, and leave comments, too.  They are always appreciated.
I’m creating an “Author’s Garden” in my yard in honor of my Revolutionary War novel, The Chamomile, published in 2011, and two post-Revolutionary War novels, entitled Laurel and Cassia, which will be published January 12 and September 14, 2015, respectively, by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas.

So far, I’ve planted six chamomiles, three laurel bushes, and four cassia trees.

When they bloom, chamomile flowers look like daisies, except the yellow centers are cone-shaped instead of flat. When you walk through them, they give off an aroma of apples.

The laurels, or mountain laurels, will have pink blossoms and glossy dark green leaves.

The cassias will have brilliant yellow, cascading blooms and will reach about ten feet tall. Cassia, the “poor man’s cinnamon,” is mentioned in the Bible several times as one of the ingredients of anointing oil. According to Psalm 45:8, when the Messiah returns, his robes will smell of cassia. (All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia; from palaces adorned with ivory the music of the strings makes you glad. NIV).

I’ve ordered an aluminum bronze-colored bench, which should arrive soon. I’ve also been searching for garden sculpture. Haven’t decided on the sculpture, yet.





2 comments:

  1. I love your author's garden! I wish I was garden savvy because I'd like to steal your idea! It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Susan!! What a great idea! Sounds lovely and fragrant too. =]

    ReplyDelete