You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

Friday, September 20, 2013

Inspirational Christian Fiction

A to Z blog hop at Patterings.
This post is part of an A to Z blog hop. This week's letter is "I." Be sure to visit the blogs listed at the botttom of this post.

        People read inspirational fiction for many reasons, for escape and entertainment, but also for enlightenment. They seek a way to fill inner voids, to get into the heads of other people and see how they manage, and come back better prepared to face the real world.
        Not all inspirational fiction is Christian fiction, which has definitions and descriptions of its own:
“...celebrates God’s presence in our life”
“...characters’ relationships to God is the primary focus”
“...stories are about the journey of the soul”
“...wholesome, yet compelling”
“...God plays a significant role in the plot and the outcome
“...focus on ordinary people who are challenged to live their lives in accordance with Christian principles”
“...gentle Christian novels using charm and humor explore the everyday joys, frustrations, and sorrows of lives quietly led; they typically revolve around the activities of a small community of people, such as a small town, a church, or a gathering of friends; the realities of sex, violence, and other passions are downplayed and are never presented in a graphic manner”
“...edgy Christian fiction (sometimes a laughable term to the secular, general market) seeks to throw off the yoke of traditional Christian fiction and offer something more contemporary and less sterilized; gritty scenes; not sweet but brutal.”
        In a blog post that author Keith Madsen wrote, he said: Inspirational fiction is people facing the most fearful things in life: the death of loved ones, violence and crime, marital stress, the prospect of life failure, terrorism and war -- and in the midst of it all finding reason to hope. It’s stories that say you don’t have to put on blinders to the pain in life to believe that there is a good God at the heart of it all.    (http://www.keithmadsen.com/Wrestling-Alongside-Jacob----a-Blog.html?entry=inspirational-fiction-making-our-own)
        Author Jordyn Redwood, who is a nurse, wrote in her blog post: Since I experience the fragility of life, I want people to be confident in their beliefs about the afterlife. And I know many of us don’t have as many moments left as we think. A novel can be a less threatening way to introduce someone to the concepts of Christianity than handing them a Bible, and yet can still deliver a strong, compelling message. (http://wordservewatercooler.com/2013/06/09/why-i-write-christian-fiction/)

A lamp unto my feet...
        So why write inspirational Christian fiction?
        Author DeeAnne Gist answered, “I want to stand before God and have him say, ‘Well done, my child.’ I don’t want him to say, ‘I can’t believe you wrote that.’”

        Why do I write it?
        It’s my mission field, and I want to inspire responses from my readers like this person, who read my Revolutionary War novel, The Chamomile:
“Through all the trials, their faith carries the main characters through. The story portrays the integral place that faith played in the early colonies. They are so like us, like me, with questions, fears and doubts. I like how Craft has woven faith throughout the story without ever lapsing into preaching. She has portrayed seamy characters without using offensive language--bravo!”

14 comments:

  1. I like that there are all types of inspirational. I lean towards the edgy because I like to feel the pain and smell the sweat. Is that too gross? Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the edgy, J'Nell, although I do like a happy ending and don't like some of the grittier topics. The sweet books are sometimes too idealistic, but I'm happy that there are all types of fiction available for all types of readers. It's fascinating how God created us to be so alike, yet different.

      Delete
  2. I also enjoy inspirational romance and suspense stories. But if I read too many of them, I get depressed! I know it's all fairy tale and a fun escape, but sometimes I wonder why that stuff can't happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Barbara. It can be too much. I prefer a book that can maintain a balance, can take me to some location I've never been before, with a compelling story that keeps my interest, with believable characters who capture my heart and who give me that "ah, hah" moment when I realize I'm not alone in my thoughts, worries, or feelings. On the other hand, a lot of "literary" fiction it too dark for me and can be depressing. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Inspirational fiction has so many definitions. I lean a little toward the grittier since it's more realistic. I don't know any Christians that have a perfect life. And for a non-believer, it would be virtually impossible to relate to a character who's too "goody two-shoes." Hey, that's an idiom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the non-believer. It's a stumbling block for non-believers who might think 1)a "perfect" Christian wouldn't know what they are going through; or 2)Christians like to act as if they are perfect, but they really aren't. What better way to reach someone than though a well-crafted story about Christians going through what everyone else does--only relying on their faith and not themselves?

      Delete
  5. I love inspirational fiction. =] I love other fiction too, but there are times when I just want to read and not worry about what might crop up, and inspirational fiction is what I reach for then. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. I read, a lot. I can't tell you how many books I've read lately that have that one "obligatory sex scene" in them when the book would have been just as good, if not better, without it. I've met many publishers who say that romance sells, but it depends on the definition of romance.

      Delete
  6. I also love inspirational fiction. And yes, I'm glad there are different kinds. Thanks for this piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Joanne. I tend to read books set in colonial America, but I just finished a medieval one by Tamara Leigh. Really quite good.

      Delete
  7. I despise reading cuss words in every other sentence or worrying about graphic bedroom scenes showing up, and with so many great Christian fiction books on the market, there's no need for me to reach for a secular book. Like you, Susan, my writing is also my ministry. What a fabulous review, and exactly what I hope to accomplish with my writing. That God can take those dark places, those huge, gaping holes in our lives, and fill them with hope. That He can take our pain and meld it into something beautiful called joy. Congrats, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dora. I had debated about letting my villain use language true to his character, but decided I could make him so evil he didn't even need to use bad language. My heart leapt when I read that review because my reader recognized and appreciated my efforts. She "got" it, and that felt so good. I pictured God smiling at me, and that felt even better.

      Delete
  8. Amen, amen, amen and amen! Everything you said. Everything. Amen!

    ReplyDelete